Of Mooncursers and other Spun yarns

Of Mooncursers and other Spun yarns
Click the link below and go to my book site

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Sailboats Fair and Fine# 27 : read oldest posts first

Oct.17,Fri. From Georgenes Log Book
We were up early again and on our way to cross the Albermarle Sound. It turned out to be a good sailing day. I was surprised that there are so many markers and buoys-almost like a highway marked clear across the sound. We sailed a good part of the day and then motored some- mostly after we got into the Alligator River. There's a swing bridge across the river at about mile 84. we thought on such a big river we would probably have to wait for the bridge to open on the hour. As it was surely rush hour and the bridge was the only way to the mainland. Doug called find the next opening time, the man said “Have it open for in just a minute Captain.” He did too. We didn't have to wait at all. We went on down the river to about mile 104 and anchored between Bear point and Tuckahoe Point. Doug had to get in the dingy and row all around the shore line and go ashore to explore. The scenery has really been something. All different kinds of trees and shrubs than we have at home. The water has a kind of rusty red color mixed in from the cypress roots. It's all been different and beautiful but i guess I really liked Saturday morning ( Oct 18 ) the most so far because of all the fog on the canal. We had a long trip down the Alligator River- Pungo River canal. We left our anchorage between 6: 30 & 7:00 & the fog was all along the edge of the canal, until the sun came out good and strong a couple of hours later. The temperatures are still in the 60's. We stopped early at Belhaven to get Fuel and ice. The ice cost $1.00 and the fuel was free.
As we had come out of the canal into the Pungo River, we helped another boat that had run aground where the channel was really narrow.
I didn't take long and we were on our way. This boat was at the marina in Belhaven ,when we stopped for fuel. A man came hurrying out onto the dock to thank us for helping him& introduced himself to us and introduced him self as, Larry. He and his wife, Joanne, on their sailboat” Tring”Had left York River yacht Haven the same day we did. When Doug went up to pay for our gas Larry had already taken care of it. A nice Surprise!
We anchored about 2PM just across the channel from Belhaven. We rested all after noon and read. I haven't smoked for 3 days and i;m almost making my self sick eating crackers and candy. Hopefully, I will get over it in a few days. I told Doug I'd quit when we left. and I didn't buy any extra cigarettes to bring along. I finished the pack I had in my pocketbook our first day out & so, I've quit.

View We started a the North river in a larger map

No comments: